Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Baked Zucchini Fries

My kids love fries. So one day I tried to fool them and tried this recipe for baked zucchini fries. Now let me tell you, I wasn’t fooling them. They knew by the look alone, these weren’t your McDonald’s golden French fries. In fact, when I asked them if they wanted some, they turned up their nose. But, lo and behold, after giving them one to try, they asked for another and another.

If you are looking for a healthy alternative to fries, give these a try. We dipped them in marinara sauce. These fries make a great side to any meal or a fun snack.

Baked Zucchini Fries

Ingredients
3 medium zucchini, sliced into skinny sticks
2 large egg whites, beaten
½ cup whole wheat bread crumbs (we make our own)
2 T grated Parmesan cheese
¼ tsp. dried basil
Pinch of dried oregano
¼ tsp. garlic powder
Salt and pepper, to taste

Directions
Preheat oven to 425°. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Set aside.

In a small bowl, beat egg whites with a fork until frothy.

Put the breadcrumbs, basil, oregano, garlic powder and cheese on a plate-I used a pie tin. Mix well.

Dip the zucchini sticks in the egg whites and then into the bread crumb mixture, make sure all sides get coated well. Place the sticks on the prepared baking sheet. I did the sticks one by one.

Bake at 425° for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and a little crispy. I turned over the fries half way through. Serve warm. We like to dip ours in marinara sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment