Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Life's a Moving Target

For as long as I can remember, I have always watched commercials more than the actual programs. That probably explains why I have my degree in advertising and have worked in the industry for the last 13 years.

I love how words can move people to do something - take action, cry, smile, etc. Words alone can be so powerful. I mean just think - Hallmark wouldn't be so popular as it is if people could express their sentiment themselves. Hallmark is a thriving business because they can put into words what most people can't. And that's exactly what a good commercial can do. It can make you buy things you don't necessarily need. It can make you laugh. It can make you cry. Advertising is both loved and loathed for that very reason. But if you can remember a commercial long after it's aired, then the agency has accomplished their goal. You are talking about their company/product. Whether it's good or bad, you are talking about it. And you are talking about it way beyond the minimum 60 seconds that they were allotted. Mission accomplished. That, my friends, is the power of advertising.

One of the best commercials on TV right now, I believe, is Target's "Life's A Moving Target." Created in partnership with Wieden+Kennedy, this new campaign demonstrates how the brand that made design more everyday is making everyday life more surprising and more joyful.

It starts off simply with the concept of a dress and ends with a dress. Obviously, their intent is to tug at the heartstrings. Although, the target audience is primarily female, my husband liked the commercial too. He liked that it wasn't a blatant "in-your-face" ad. And he's right. Target wasn't trying to shove the idea that I needed to shop there down my throat. Rather, they used subtlety and well-produced vignettes to make me feel good if I shopped there. This commercial exemplifies the love people have for Target and celebrates the role the store plays in their everyday lives as an oasis of quality and value.


1 comment:

  1. Nice post. I was checking constantly this blog and I’m impressed! Extremely useful info specially the last part I care for such information a lot. I was seeking this certain info for a long time. Thank you and good luck. movers pasadena

    ReplyDelete